For special closing times please see our Practice Closures page.
When we are Closed
If you need a doctor’s advice or medical attention when the surgery is closed, this will be provided by:
Herts Urgent Care operates at the following times:
- Monday-Friday – 6.30pm – 8.15am
- Weekends and Bank Holidays – 24-hour cover until 8am on the following working day
To contact Herts Urgent Care call – 111 (calls are free)
The Herts Urgent Care phone will be answered by call handlers who will take down your details and pass them on to the duty doctors and nurses. You will then be called back.
- The service covers over 200,000 patients in the North Hertfordshire and Stevenage area.
- Many problems out-of-hours can be dealt with by advice over the phone.
- If you need to be seen, you will be asked to attend one of the Herts Urgent Care Centres. The nearest centre is at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, next to the A&E department. This is a 10-15 min drive from Baldock. However, from 11pm the Lister centre is closed and if you need to be seen you will be asked to go to another centre – probably at QE2 Hospital in Welwyn Garden City.
- If the doctor thinks a home visit is necessary, they will arrive in a fully equipped, specially marked car.
- You must contact the out of hours service by phone first. It is not a walk-in centre, and appointment time and place must be pre-arranged
- the service is for urgent problems only. Please do not contact the out of hours service unless you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.
For emergencies like chest pain or breathing problems call 999.
Anyone who lives in, or is visiting, Hertfordshire, can now call 111 when they need medical help fast, but it’s not a 999 emergency, life-threatening situation.
The NHS online service, which gives you access to information including medical conditions, treatments and to check symptoms etc please use this link:
For urgent problems when your dentist is closed, please contact the emergency dental service. This service is available from 5pm – 9am during the week, and also at weekends and Bank Holidays.
To contact the Out of Hours Dental Service please ring 03000 333 224 (calls are charged at local rate)
For the convenience of people who can’t come during usual opening times, we have surgeries until 8pm on some evenings Monday to Thursday and on the second Saturday in the month, we offer appointments from 9am – 11am.
These appointments must be booked in advance, and cannot be booked online. Please note that patients with evening and or Saturday appointments will need to use the rear entrance door.
You will not normally be able to see a nurse, have blood tests or deal with enquiries at reception in the evening.